How to get your license: Real estate brokers
Any person who acts on behalf of a real estate firm to perform real estate brokerage services under the supervision of a managing broker.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully complete 90 hours of approved real estate education within 2 years before applying for the exam. This education must include:
- A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
- A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
- The real estate education requirements will be waived for qualified applicants currently licensed in another state.
- Be ready to answer Criminal history questions and provide documents if needed.
- Pass the broker’s exam.
For a list of approved real estate education, see the Real Estate Education Course Catalog.
Before you apply
- If you are licensed in another state:
- Request the broker’s exam by submitting a certified license history from the real estate licensing agency in the state where you’re currently licensed to:
Olympia, WA 98507
How to apply
- Login to apply. You’ll need:
- Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit card to pay license fee.
- If needed, documents for Criminal history questions, ready to upload. See Uploading document instructions.
- Submit fingerprints for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington:
- Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington:
- Call Real Estate Regulatory at 360.664.6484 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks. Background checks don’t delay the issuance of a license.
- Inside Washington:
- We’ll send you an email when your license is approved.
- Your license will be issued in inactive status so it is available to be added to a firm.
- Your license will be activated immediately when you accept an online request to join a firm.
Your broker’s license will expire 2 years after it’s issued.